Tuesday, October 8, 2013

My lost love


My lost love

by C.E. Morris

As a maker, critic and lover of most music; Hip Hop is what dominates my life’s soundtrack. Memories of joyous triumphs, painful defeats and embarrassing losses playback to a score dominated by Hip Hop, or something close to it. These glimpses into the rear view mirror of life reveal moments I had long forgotten; from hiding my Doggystyle & 36 Chambers cassette tapes from my parents in the 4th grade to sneaking out my bedroom window so I could see local rap-cats battle every Wednesday night @ the brickyard on south avenue. Other rap-reminiscent-reveals I wish I could forget but cannot; like that $80 Cash money-Ruff Ryder Concert or how much my early adulthood was defined by a misguided and Literal fundamentalism; not religious but rather Gangster Rap literal interpretation-fundamentalism. Which reinforced my already malicious behavior and dog-eat-dog worldview. Please don’t misinterpret; "gangster rap” in no way birthed my malady of spirit, but rather I used the music as a perverse validation for my actions.

In the early 2000’s I ran around the city of Rochester to every corner store, bodega and open trunk sale to stay up to date with my favorite rappers (short of the very rare trickle of talent that managed to wedge themselves onto the top 100 charts). Today, rap music gushes from almost every media outlet and internet orifice in existence. From Sirius to soundcloud, from piratebay to College radio: these new outlets give a platform for local and lesser known rapper to be heard, which is a plus. However, hip hop fans can easily be "waterlogged" from this over saturation. Even on a local tip; interest, patients, money and time can be lost while attempting to navigate the crowded murkiness of todays “rap scene”.

My relationship with hip hop has been similar to a bite by that bittersweet 4 letter L word. That is to say Hip Hop and I have that love/hate duality.. There is a lot to love in Hip Hop and Rap. There was an abundance of hope, excitement and positivity that filled the hip hop airwaves in the late 80’s and early 90’s. Some of those traditions are carried on through socially conscious rappers like immortal technique, dead prez and the roots. But these artist are few and far in-between At first formally suppressed voices were being heard for the first time and a new consciousness was laying down the roadwork that new bridges would be built on. Bringing narratives of raw, gritty, head bobbin', bass droppin’ reality, social awareness and sincerity. Hip Hop was, and in some instances still is, compelling and unavoidably satisfying. 
Jay-Z perfectly embodies the 'Gatsby archetype'.

The mainstream considered rap a novelty but these rappers soon turned into Hip Hop Artist. The rise, popularity and crossover success of artist like Rakim, EPMD, KRS-ONE, Public Enemy, Grandmaster Flash and eventually De La Soul, the Fugees and a Tribe Called Quest turned this supposed novelty into an American staple and eventually a cultural movement. Since raps conception, the core of every bar spit has arguably been competition, which is also uniquely American. However, much liken an unchecked capitalist economy, there are winners, there are losers and, over time, this competitions spreads unintended consequences that can often be unfortunate as well as devastating. Hip hops reverberations will soon be, if not already, tantamount to the cultural and music shifts of The Beatles or Michael Jackson.

In general, Hip Hop today, regrettably revolves around the incorrigible, seemingly inescapable and insatiable celebrity-via-Gatsby archetype; cynically materialistic, purposely nonsensical and shamefully hollow. I am not critiquing the Artful wordplay,


poetic interpretations and lyrical story telling of uncomfortable topics like social inequality, hard-knock upbringings, forgotten communities, oppressive conditions told in explicit but eloquent delivery. That music is important and relevant art; art which has an invaluable place in our society. What I personally take issue with are the chart-topping rap songs that are usually without purpose, cause or message; rap that legitimizes and perpetuates hateful and violent repetition of homophobic and misogynistic slurs and stereotypes. The lesser of these offending themes; uber-celebrity, easy money and greed; are also factually erroneous and misleading. This helps to build a insidious worship of materialism.

However, like I said already I love hip hop. I am not, and may never, give up on my lost love. Occasionally a fleeting flash of hip hop hope surfaces; Jedi mind tricks, the dilated peoples, Common,, the Underachievers, Andre Younge, brother Ali, and a plethora of local artist; all of which you won’t normally here on the radio or tv; still give me hope for the future state of Hip Hop.

By Christopher Morris aka DJ Cak3slay3r

No comments:

Post a Comment