Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Thank You Speech- 05/09/13 - @MCC By C.E. Morris




My name is Chris Morris and I am the Vice President of membership for PTK @ the Damon City Campus.

As a human service student I learned more about myself in my two semesters with Dr. Mullaney than I had in my previous 25 years.  Despite what some told me, Human Service Class was Anything but easy.  In fact, the work required of me in the good Doctor’s class and at my fieldwork posts were a comprehensive, analytical and introspective crash course into the world of social work, psychosocial analysis, self assessment and counseling. Not to mention logging in more than 375 hours in the field.

The reality check that was my fieldwork allowed me to bare witness to societal travesties, grotesque socioeconomic disparities, communities that seemed to be willfully forgotten and even the tragic death of a young student.



Dr. Mullaney highlighted the importance of "small victories". A skilled and professional helper can sometimes get overwhelmed by all the bureaucracy, brutality and negativity in the world.

However, as pointed out by my instructor we must not lament; for surely if we helpers do not persevere; how can we expect our clients, patients and students to.

Dr. Mullaney you placed the proverbial kindling of social responsibility at my feet. Thank you



Professor Dina Giovanelli, I observed your unapologetic stance on social justice, equality and advocacy for those most vulnerable among us, and I was inspired,.    I not only subscribe to the critical lens of the sociological perspective that you taught us, I live by it. In SOC 101 you poured the proverbial lighter fluid of social justice on that kindling previously mentioned. The Honors course “The City” then lit match of Civic Duty in side me. It is because of you that I will bring a voice of Critical theory to Columbia University. (I’ll let you know how that goes)



Joseph R. (friend) thanks for showing me, by example, there was a dignified and safe way out of my old life and that I could be successful after that life. You have done more for me than most, thank you.



Josh and Rachael Thank you for reminding me to question everything, and teaching me that just because something is the norm or the status quo, doesn’t make it natural and doesn't mean it is right.



Evan B. (friend), Thank you for taking a chance on me when no one else would.



If it weren’t for all of your (and countless others) cooperation, love and sacrifices, I would not be here today. Thank you



Most importantly I want to thank my personal hero; dedicating nearly 30 years to helping, educating and advocating for those most vulnerable among us. This person has put up with enough guff throughout the years to be granted sainthood. My mom, Lynda Morris. There is no combination of words that would do you justice, thank you for being my mother, my father, role model and for being strong when the rest of us couldn’t be. I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment